Wednesday, October 7, 2009

So maybe.

A little catch up session about what’s been happening recently over here in WangaWanga (as the Sociologist calls it now.)

Skipped beginners and social salsa on Monday to hightail it down to Palmy for dance practice and a bit of social ceroc dancing as well. Came back to work late the next day which was fine as I had cover and honestly, coming back in my tracksuit pants that I slept in didn’t bother me one bit either.

I was missed at ballroom, apparently. Two of the students who went for salsa last night turned up and quizzed me as to my whereabouts for ballroom. I’ve become such a fixture at those classes that my absence was noted considerably.

It was fun to get away just the same. Although I probably missed out a great opportunity to freestyle during a merengue song.

Talking about other dances, the Redhead mentioned learning some tango, salsa, and merengue the other day at a ceroc class and they learnt it as a routine. Which is a bit sad, really. Because half the fun is in choreographing it on the sport and doing it freestyle rather than following a set routine that a dance teacher had already figured out for you. Even with the argentine tango, its all about playing with the music and getting to learn each other’s body movements so that in three songs time, you can move according to each other. A bit like watching a capoiera battle. Nothing choreographed, everything done as an action or reaction. Brilliant stuff.

Today, I got a little bit depressed.

Yeah, I know. I do sometimes get into those moods. Horrible things, really. I honestly wish I didn’t.

But sometimes, you know, I talk to some people and they talk about what their lives were like and what they have done with themselves and I look at my own little existence and I wonder whether my life would be just another mere tiny drop in the ocean.

Perhaps, it is.

Was watching Big Bang Theory, of all shows to theorise from and one of the episodes talked about how someone in the performing arts sought approval from others rather than approval from within themselves. Hm. How true, sometimes.

Reminds me of how I dance and choreograph to the audience’s approval rather than the judges’ or even my own approval sometimes.

The times where I’ve stopped and looked at my (at the time) dance partner and told her, “That was amazing! Thank you!” are rare and far in between. I don’t get to do that very often now and I feel a bit idiotic for it. I’ve always preached on the topic of dancing for the love and the pure enjoyment of it and yet, I’m the hypocrite here dancing for approval and acceptance.

Right.

sunset

This picture was taken late evening on the way to Palmy. It was a blustery cold day and the sky was impossibly blue and all I could really see was the fading sunset. Took a picture of this as it reminded me that sometimes, even though everything seems nigh impossible, the sun WILL come out tomorrow. And tomorrow’s only a day away.

Huh.

I honestly don’t know if this is the right job for me. Too much on the line, too much responsibility or am I just shirking and playing the lazy fool?

P.S. Yes, ShortStuff, I got your message on Facebook. Dance is amazing, isn’t it? Only the people who find it will find it amazing. Haha..there’s a quote I used to use before.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. – Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

Now isn’t that the truth.

P.P.S. Hope you don’t mind me calling you ShortStuff! +D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home