Friday, September 25, 2009

Planted.

So during the past couple of weeks, paperwork has been flying fast and furiously between Dunny and Wangy. Signatures, loan agreements, legal documents, etc, flew as fast as lightning around the Land of the Long White Cloud in a bid to get everything done before Today. Sep 25.

And today, I was just about to get a patient up when my pager buzzed. 8162

Usually, when that happens, it means that I'm getting a direct call from somewhere.

Picked up the phone. 8.1. 6. 2.

Hi, Paul Physio speaking.

"Yo! Chuok meh tiok low!

It put a little smile on my face.

At last. Something that belonged to us. As a family.

I remembered my mum telling me that for so long, she has wanted one of her own. And we, as a family, have never really had one. But now we do.

So in a little street down in the freezing depths of Dunny, we have a family home.

***

Was talking to Tofupuff yesterday and I was telling her how I overheard one of the nurse's conversations about Wangy.

"You know, I told my husband that we were only going to be here 2 years. And that was 15 years ago!"

Ooh, Wangy's like a Bermuda Triangle, you never get to leave! said Lord Pharmacist.

And deep down inside, I swore that as soon as I could, I was going to get out of here. Sure, there's ballroom dancing and salsa to keep me in place but I still feel as though that there is world out there waiting to be tasted. Who knows, I might even pull a feat worthy of Bleeding Espresso fame.

Or who knows. Who knows.

I was talking to the Redhead about ceroc in Wangy that used to exist about 3 years ago. And kinda in a hush hush way, she mentioned that the teachers in Palmy were trying so hard to keep things afloat and in the end, it was run to the ground.

Hm.

As much as I wished I could pull one of these stunts, imagine reading this on my blog in the future.

Hi, I'm Paul and I was a physiotherapist. Yes, you read right. I'm NOT a physiotherapist. I was. Used to be. But now, I'm not. I have decided to leave the glorious profession of ankle sprains, backaches, cervicogenic headaches and cardiopulmonary physiotherapy techniques along with stroke assessments, Motor Assessment Scale, Dynamic Gait Index and BESTest for the life and love of dance, dance music, suede soled shoes, spinning skirts, rhythms that pulse through the night and lights that play a mirage on the smooth polished floorboards. My life, instead of consisting of donning a uniform and stethoscope and thumping on people's chests, will now include teaching the delicacies of heel-toe movements along with aerials and arm movements drawing circles in the air. My world will consist of jazz tunes, Ella Fitzgerald and George and Ira Gershwin serenading while we foxtrot and waltz over the floors. Sometimes, it will be completely different, with the synthesized sounds of Danny Fernandes and world music cha cha beats of 4 to the Bar's Make me Sweat counting time while people sweat it out on the dance floor. I will be clothed in only the finest wools of a tailsuit or in a plain white shirt, cuffs rolled up, black pants to the point 5 cm away from the edge of my sueded heels and I will spin and spin and spin. And I will show the people how they can love dancing as much as I do. To make the music beat and pulse through their veins and their interpretations of it, through their steps and through the smiles on their faces.

I think it was one of the old Disney movies that had the phrase "A dream is a wish your heart makes."

Oh how true. How very very true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home