Sunday, September 27, 2009

Insomniac.

Well, well, well.

Searching for key terms “insomniac”  and “can’t sleep” on this blog, I just couldn’t find anything.

Funny, really.

In previous years, I used to have so much trouble sleeping. I would wake up, toss and turn. Mind you, I was never really a troubled sleeper. If I was able to get to sleep, I would get to sleep in a heartbeat. Closed my eyes and the world was switched off like a light. Nothing would wake me, including my alarm, which sometimes, is a very very bad thing.

Now, I’m constantly up at deity forsaken times such as 6.30a.m. and 7a.m. Friends knowing me would know that I slept and I slept in. Waking up early is NOT part of my agenda.

But yes, I’ve been waking up early. And I can’t go back to bed.

I’m not really too sure why either. Its not that anyone is stopping me. Today is a Sunday. The roads are quiet. No one is up OR about yet.

In past years when I used to work at the butchery, I would finish at 11p.m. at nights, sometimes even later. I would come home, dinner would be sitting in the microwave for me. I would heat it up and bring it upstairs to my room where the ancient laptop would sit and I would start blogging on that infernal machine. Sometimes, I think that machine was even better than this new laptop that I have.

The lateness of my job and the resulting wakefulness kept me up until the early hours of the morning.

I have been out there.

Late at night, chaotic. Crazy. But quiet and peaceful in a certain way.

I have sat out there and cried to only the moon above and the rushing bread trucks. I have walked home when the sun was about to wake up, jacket thrown carelessly over my shoulders, hands tucked in my pocket, dance shoe bag hanging from one elbow, sleeves rolled up after a night of dancing. I have walked home, clutching a pizza to my chest from work, trying to dodge all the drunken people spewing out into the streets from bars and getting home. To the quiet and warmth of my room and the clickity-clackity sounds of my laptop keys as I spill my thoughts out onto screen.

I loved the night.

There is nothing out there to judge you. Its only you. And the forming frost beneath your feet. A cup of steaming tea. The lull of your bed, tempting you to sleep. But your mind is alert. Awake. Full of life. Your brain is doing a Gene Kelly, spinning around lampposts and singing in the rain. How do you put THAT to sleep?

Oh well.

On a different note, I had pizza last night.

stellar pizza1

So much for autofocus. Honestly.

stellar pizza2

My choice of the evening….Meat Works @ $22.

stellar pizza3

Very. Very. Very. Jelak.

I could hardly finish it. Well. I didn’t finish it. Had three pieces left and I thought to myself, “One more piece of that with a dollop of sour cream and I am going to hurl this all the way to the other wall.”

Thought I’d decide to do some dancing but on the dance floor, lights flashed and waved like crazy tentacles and a few tired looking women jiggled on the dance floor. Meh.

I’d rather go home. And so I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home