Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baking bothers.





It's 3p.m. ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another addition of Harry Connick Junior on the French lady's CD player!


*polite applause*

Now before we proceed, Monkey Girl, stop climbing the doorpost and Surfer Boy, stop dismembering the dolls. Thank you.


And now, everyone, its Harry on the ivory with the song, "Just Like Me."


***

Having spent a good portion of the day with the French Lady & Co., I honestly don't see how I can ever have kids.

Perhaps kids are for those awesome people with infinite love and patience capabilities who want to love them forever and take care of them and although sometimes the crying and the yelling and the fighting never really seems to end, you just get on with it.

Feeding Surfer Boy bits and pieces of a noodle stirfry that I wok-ed up this afternoon and looking at how he only wanted to eat the fried ham bits while he would pretty much spit out everything else, I get the odd sensation that perhaps I've never seen myself doing anything like this but now, yes, I'm doing it.

And looking into his brown eyes partially occluded by his blond surfer dude hair and how he makes the "mum mum" sound as he's chewing on ham bits and I'm picking up little chewed up bits of carrot and peas and corn as apparently, he doesn't like them, its hard to ignore the wonder that is a child.

Its amazing how the little kid opens his mouth in response to a fried ham piece as I aim it in his general direction on a fork. Its cool how he chews and wriggle around in his chair as I try and feed him another bit. And how he bites down on something he doesn't like and opens his mouth and points at the plate and spits it out.

And all the while, I'm sitting there, wiping his mouth, making sure the food goes in his mouth and not around and not onto his chest or lap or anywhere else but his pie hole, sifting through the noodles and mixed veges to find another ham bit.

Amazing.

And it just reminds me how I'm not made for kids. Entertain, yes. Babysit on occasion, yes. But to nurture and bring up?

Thanks but no thanks.

Sun is out in full force this afternoon and Harry's on the player while there's some sort of guitar riff going on in the background. Hello, I asked for jazz?!?!

French Lady and her friend are washing and drying dishes while I'm doing the usual hog-the-computer-and-blog and the kids are entertaining themselves dismembering toys in the living room and playing mummy-and-daddy with the soft toys.

I'm thankfully in the shade where the sun can't touch me but yet, I'm still getting some heat and the cool breeze.

My thighs are slightly achy from the crazy workout I did the day before. Finishing with 100 squats ain't exactly the best idea in the world sometimes. But hopefully, fingers crossed, we'll be getting some results one way or another.

*yawn*

This day would be perfect with a hammock in the shade and ice cold sweet yet sour lemonade with the French Lady.

1 Comments:

Blogger mart said...

glad to have caught you and Le French Lady while you were here :)


( is that the right French grammer? lol )

March 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home