Saturday, September 12, 2009

Dance Dilemma

So here’s the problem.

And maybe this is due to me having too many fingers in too many pies, THUS, having this problem.

As you all might know, I do quite a number of dances purely out of an enjoyment aspect of it.

I do ballroom, ceroc when I get the chance, and I’ve started taking up salsa as well recently.

As of this year, I’ve picked up ballroom for REAL and started competing as an amateur graded dancer. Which is fine. That’s okay. I’ve attended 4 competitions this year already and each and everyone of them have been pretty amazing. There’s always something that happens and its really cool.

So I’ve got one more competition coming up this year and lo and behold, its held on the 17th of October.

Now here’s the problem.

Because I also do ceroc, I had told the Redhead that I was keen to do a Ceroc Showcase on Labour Weekend, which is on the 24th October to the 25th.

See the problem now?

Because its a Showcase, we need to practise. RedHead lives 45 mins away and I have to head down to practise with her for it.

Now for the real deal breaker.

We’ve not started doing ANYTHING at all. No music, no moves, no nothing.

This being the Redhead’s first choreography attempt, she’s wanting to do something “technically” challenging and here I am sitting on my hands going, “Uh…you sure?”

I don’t go for ceroc classes anymore just because we don’t have classes here. My moves are outdated and I tend to stick more to style rather than anything else with my moves.

Plus, as a seasoned choreographer (I’ve done quite a number of pieces in my time, as well as one that won 3rd place so I’m pretty sure I’ve got the skill somewhat), she’s dilly-dallying with the music, moves, and PLUS, the clincher…she wants to lead for HALF the song.

Now the girl leading is an interesting part of it. You actually have to know how to lead. And I don’t get led very often. I can learn, for sure, but then again, I need to practise with her and oh man. Things actually look pretty suck right now.

So we’re running short on time, on practice, on moves, on the music, and on choreography.

Now, back to the ballroom comp.

We usually have ballroom dance time every single Sunday. And the competitions are usually held on the weekends as well. So if I do this ballroom competition, I can’t do the ceroc showcase.

This seems like a really bad case of wanting my cake and eating it too. Sigh.

We’ve got approximately 6 weeks to the showcase, 5 weeks to the ballroom comp.

I think we should be okay for it. Really.

If I look at it in terms of weeks, there still seems to be hope.

HOWEVER.

With the physios getting less and less and me having to do more and more weekends, I’m not actually sure if I like the idea too much anymore. So technically, I don’t have 6 weeks. More like 5. Or less.

So I’m really stuck here.

On one hand, I’ve got ballroom that’s conveniently located right where I am. I’ve got outfits, dance moves, EVERYTHING sorted out. As well as a teacher which is pretty darn handy to have especially if you’re competiting.

On the other hand, I’ve got ceroc that’s 45 minutes away, one costume, no dance moves, no music, no PRACTICE, and no handy teacher that can provide me dance moves that I actually like.

Seems pretty obvious which one is the clear winner, isn’t it?

Salsa, thankfully, does not cause any problems as its on Tuesday nights which I usually AM here in Wangy for anyway.

So here I sit too early on Saturday morning (all because I’m working) and going, “For fsck’s sakes! Make up your frigging mind!”

Hm.

What do y’all think?

1 Comments:

Blogger steph said...

I think you should come back to Dunedin and teach me to dance :D

I'm so helpful!

September 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home