Sunday, September 6, 2009

Post Paaaartay

So I didn’t exactly get any REAL pictures of me dancing. Pity, really.

The night consisted of me changing in and out of my tailsuit at least 50 times. Because I competed in both prelim and E grade events, I barely sat down for the first 3 hours of the competition. I only kept dancing, pretty much. And do you warm up quite a bit on the dance floor. Especially under a full suit.

So recaps, picture-wise from how the day started.

cherry blossoms

Started off with a crisp and frosty morning. Woke up at 7a.m. from a combination of nerves and being used to waking up early and not being able to sleep. Le sigh. Made myself a seared chicken and onion sandwich topped with cheese which is like awesome that I didn’t take pictures of. Oh well.

outside the dance hall

We arrived down in L. Hutt about half an hour before the craze began. Awesome day. Sun was beaming. It was a good day to be in the Capital.

judges stage

Everyone was milling about, trying to get registration, etc sorted. I’d just put down my bag containing all the changes of outfit for the rest of the night.

warmups

Couples started to warm up with a cheeky cha cha cha on the dance floor. Latin was the first order of the day. Damn, the weather’s still pretty darn good today. All righty. Bike ride. +D Oops. Sorry for detracting.

bow tie

Was lazy to get up and go to the bathroom to see if my bowtie was straight. But it was. All good +D

number 50

This was taken at 1a.m. in the morning after all the excitement was over and I had arrived home. I woke up to LatinLady poking me in the lapel from the front seat while I dozed at the back. I honestly hope I didn’t snore. Hehe.

all the calories for the night

So much for trying to lose weight for a Transformation Contest. This was pretty much ALL I drank the entire night. Well, not really. I had the one sausage roll and 2 bottles of water. So I guess my nutritional sins compounded aren’t that bad, are they?

Adult E Grade Latin Cert

Read them and weep, big boys.

This was the unexpected highlight of the evening. Latinlady and I knew that we had a pretty good cha rocking around the floor and we kept that up. Apart from completely slamming her into other people on the dancefloor, I think we maintained a relatively stable routine.

Said certificate guarantees us a leg up in moving up to D grade dancing. All we need to do now is win E Grade Ballroom and E Grade New Vogue. Stupid dances.

I told LatinLady’s mum, “Oh, I bet they’ll be talking about us for a while. New couple, just registered, taking E Grade Latin at our first registered comp. Hell yeah!”

Adult E Grade Latin Trophy

The accompanying E Grade Latin shiny cup in all its glory. Mind you, when we won it, I was walking back to the table from winning another cert.

I was like, “Oh, I think we won something.”

LatinLady was like, “Oh my God! We won!!!”

Huh?

Until she had to explain to me that we won E Grade Latin. Woah. Big achievement.

And it was fun and games until we were told that we had to engrave it ourselves. The organisers HONESTLY suck.

someone's leftover fruit salad

Someone’s leftover fruit salad. I was bored after the first three hours because after that, we didn’t seem to dance at all. We probably sucked really bad for our ballroom and new vogue stuff as we didn’t get called into any finals then. But hey, that’s okay. We’ve got plenty work on our hands.

We were videoed, though, doing our cha. I’m hoping that we did get an unobstructed view of us doing our last and best cha cha performance EVAR. Accompanying video on Facebook, as soon as I can grab it from LatinLady’s mum.

work attire

And after all’s been said and done, its back to boring work on Monday. Stethoscope, check. Pager, check. ID card, check. Pen in back pocket, check. Nametag underneath physio logo, check.

Honestly, it would be so much more interesting just to be teaching dance. The hype, the excitement, the awesomeness of a comp. Couples spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning. Grace, elegance, everything all together.

And then I go back to my day job of walking people down hallways and up stairs and I get them to hack their lungs out for me.

Where’s the charm in THAT?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Dee said...

But all in al, BIG AWESOME CONGRATS YOU GOT 1ST!!! xD Mighty happy for youuu! :D Man, the line is bad here so din get to blog and check too. :) Congrats again!

September 8, 2009 at 4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home