Saturday, April 17, 2010

I appreciate: Sunset skies.

Note: As part of my conscious effort to bring optimism back into this blog, I’m going to start writing an “I appreciate” series. This reminds me that there’s always joy and happiness out there, even if I have to dig through the pits of Hell itself to find it. =D

Velvet skies

Ignore, if you will, the brightness of suburbia. Ignore, if you can, the bright street lights and the constant glow of incandescent lamps.

And just look at that beautifully blue sky. The sun melts away in the distance, like an ice cream slowly dribbling its way down over the wafer cone lip and there is a peace, a stillness, a calm in the way the rest of the sky darkens and decides to call it a day.

Unlike me, who stumbles home, tired and cranky and wanting whatever food to be on the table after a day of work and too much coffee powder, the natural order of things is to relax, take it easy [Cue Mika] and just let it all slide away. I think there’s a lesson to be learnt here somewhere.

I used to live on the tropical paradise of the islands of Vanuatu. The family and I were fortunate as we lived on top of a hill overlooking the sea. On your normal average day, the sky and the sea was so blue that when you looked out into the horizon, you could hardly tell where the sea ended and the sky began.

Something akin to this. But imagine that you can hardly see the separation.

And in the evenings, the family and I would sit down and look at the sunset. Beautiful, glorious sunsets, just like the ones you see on telly whenever they show you a tropical island. The warm sun nibbling away at rest of your body while the sky puts on a display of reds and ambers and soft oranges and in the distance, a light purplish lavender hue starts to play.

I’ve always loved sunsets.

It reminds me that life starts and sets a little slower than the norm of running around like headless chooks trying to get that last grain of feed.

But sad to say, I spend most of my time looking down rather than up nowadays. I’ll get there. I promise.

Was staying back late at work yesterday when one of the nurses stopped, looked at me and said, “You’re still here.”

Yeah. And?

“It’s late.”

I know…

“Are you trying to impress someone?”

Um…not that I know of.

“Are you trying to get a promotion?”

Haha…definitely not.

“Is there trouble at home?”

Not where I’m at.

And she walks off, shaking her head. I guess staying back at work and doing a little more isn’t quite normal over here just yet.

Tonight, there’s a salsa party and I’m looking at dancing the night away. Yay for salsa!

May you all have pleasant dreams and remember that wherever you are, someone loves you. Heaps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home