Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Allegiance.

As you all probably might know (well, some of you anyway), I had a hell of a lot to deal with regarding my passport and getting it sent off and verified and in the process had to get a new one done due to my characteristic tardiness and procrastination that is soooo phlegmatic melancholy. Ha….don’t worry about those terms, I took a long worded and incredibly boring personality test to find out that I’m a procrastinating pessimist. Kewl.

After reading an acquaintance’s blog about his switching over the the Kiwi side, I felt compelled to do the same.

A lot of people, Malaysians, more so, may take this as a firm slap to the faces of overseas Malaysians everywhere who have left their tanah air (Land and water, basically homeland). But the thing is, there is nothing for me back where I come from. There is no way I can go to work there if I ever want to make a living of sorts, I would struggle the hell just to make ends meet and my dreams of pro/amateur ballroom dancing would bite the dust just as quick.

I’ve been reading Malaysian blogs and believe me, I’m slightly addicted. It reminds me of home, the tastes and sites and sounds and although some blogs out there are just utter complete rubbish (not that mine is any different), riddled with food reviews of all the kopitiams in the surrounding regions and food at half-assed restaurants, plus squealing and moaning about current personal life events (like mine is ANY different), it brings me back to fact that this is Malaysia and I grew up here.

Its funny, really. With all the hype and the hypocrisy that encompasses the comedy cast we call our government and the resulting deterioration of lifestyle, I still love home.

And I still call it home.

When I think of my upbringing, first thought that comes to mind was that I was brought up in Malaysia. That Malaysia is my home. That Malaysia is where I grew up, had my fondest memories, made friendships that didn’t care about whether I’ve been overseas when I was young, all we did was play and talk together and joke just like all the other kids. Race/religion/culture didn’t matter, we got along just fine. Sure, you might dress slightly differently from me but you’re still a human being and you’re still owed the respect and courtesy and treatment and friendship as any other person.

I wonder where all my friends are now. If I can still call them friends anyway.

So when this acquaintance wrote about swearing allegiance to the Crown, thus, revoking his Malaysian passport (which the government swears is PRICELESS), I kinda feel a pang of regret. Maybe I should have gotten NZ citizenship after all rather than having to try and desperately renew my passport again. Its not like I’ll ever go back there for life.

But then again, its hard to speak about life.

Tell me 10 years ago when I first started secondary school and I was a fresh-faced kid who started school at 12.30pm and had to start wearing long pants in 30 degree heat that I will be sitting here as a full fledged physiotherapist b|tching about patients,competing professionally in ballroom dancing, have maintained 6 different blogs over a span of 4 years, and have had a steady albeit long distance relationship and I’ll tell you to fsck off. Not in those words, perhaps but you get my drift.

Who knows, maybe ten years from now, I would be in Malaysia working as a physiotherapist having started a completely new branch of ceroc and spearheaded the franchise and STILL blogging. Haha…that’s probably one thing that will never change.

But its time for work. Adieu.

<..::My Tailsuit Is Coming, My Tailsuit Is Coming::..>

+DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

*whisper* it might even arrive TODAY!!

1 Comments:

Blogger mart said...

Home. What a funny word.. 4 letters that mean so many different things :) Nice post dude

August 13, 2009 at 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home