Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Over the weekend

EDIT: There's something very mature and grown up about drinking percolated coffee with skim milk. Unfortunately, that's where the maturity ends. Childishness started with 3 heaped teaspoons of white sugar. I'm soo gonna die of diabetes.

Here are blog entries written over the weekend when I was internet deprived.

17/1/09

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they've never end
We'd sing and dance, forever and a day
We lived the life we choose
And find we'd never lose
Those were the days, my friend, those were the days

***

I wonder what's at the end of that tunnel. I wonder if I keep walking, will I ever reach an actual end. I wonder, if life continues as it is, will there ever be a happy ending.

The music is turned up loud now. Words I've not heard for what seems like decades (oh wait...maybe a few years or so) fill the room. Chinese words, some of which I understand and some of which just reminds me of the past.

In the car, driving. Its a hot day. Eating at cafes. Seeing unfamiliar chinese characters written on the signboard and deciding to order in Hokkien instead because that's familiar ground.

David Tao and Tension's "Wo Men de Gu Shi" sure does bring back memories.

Its on this hot and windy day that I decide to write this.

Its a Saturday morning. Its a day off work. Its a long weekend that I'm extremely grateful for. I look forward to the luxury of doing nothing and yet...I miss the company of actual human beings.

I tell you, if I had the Internet...

A day like this deserves a long cold lemonade and a hammock in the shade of a big leafy tree.

The sun is out and the skies are blue. Again. Seriously, Wangy is going to all the trouble of keeping me here. If the weather stays like this for the rest of the duration of me having to be here, I might just fall in love with the weather and decide never to leave.

Its one of those afternoons where you lounge in your chair and decide to fall asleep because it is deceptively seductive in the quiet and cool of your room. I've drifted off twice already and it is one of those good naps. I could cuddle here. Right next to you.

"When I saw you in Verona
You sat down and I moved over
Pretty people but all I saw was you" - Elemeno P

I'm getting desperate for inspiration again. As you can see, I'm starting to post song lyrics. Bleh.

"He tastes like you, only sweeter." - Fall Out Boy

You know, I've never really considered myself as a deep thinker. But now, come to think of it, I'll say that I am.

I've never really been a diary person or a journal person. Last journal I kept, I ended up putting it somewhere that even I don't remember.

And forget the line about the deep thinker. It sounds like I'm boasting about it. Last thing I want to do as of now.

But I've always quite enjoyed the play on words. The rhyming, the timing, the sounds of it. I try and put together sentences that actually sound good and lines that capture people's imaginations.
"Our lips can touch
Our cheeks can brush
Our lips can touch
Here." - HelloGoodbye

Hm.

@@@@@

19/1/09

Slice and dice an onion.

There's something very therapeutic about making dinner. Or cutting onions, for that matter.

I've currently been living off "convenient" foods. Thank heavens for pasta sauce and 12 minute ready pasta.

I've apparently found out that pasta which has incidentally been boiled in water as salty as ocean once tossed in some olive oil, pepper, a residue of pasta water, and sprinkled with parsley tastes delicious. Dare I say, even better than the Italian Restaurant that I used to work in. So THAT's how they do it. Although I probably ate too much for my own good.

I start work early tomorrow morning. I'm so not looking forward to my workload. And I think I'm dying on the inside without Internet access at home. I can't wait to upload this entry either. And I'm not sure if I want to go through my Google Reader list. It's going to be so full its not even funny anymore.

Today's itinerary consisted of a bright sunny day spent with the Pharmacist and his girlfriend at the 18 hole mini golf game and a 5 minute run of the go-karts which was really really fun. Lazed in bed until I HAD to get up which was all good.

Strangely enough, my mind has been quietly devoid of thoughts today. And not just today, either. Its been gone for a while. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. I don't really think anymore. I'm wondering if I'm just becoming one huge dud. No, that's not a spelling error. I really meant to say dud. One huge dud for a head. Like a grenade that doesn't explode. Bloody useless.

I think I might go for a run.

Oh well. I'll write more when I get back.

*****

After pounding out a slightly disappointing 5km (seriously, I think I did wayy better on Friday but that's another story. Oh no, I've not told that one yet. I ran 6.3km in 33mins 15secs.) in roughly around 30 minutes, I had a shower and here I am again.

This year's sporty idea is to learn how to swim enough to the point where I can actually do a triathlon. I know, I know, I sink better than I swim. So what's new, right? I can run, I can bike, now all I need to do is to be able to put one arm out in front of the other and try not to drown. Parents won't be too happy if I do.

Its a short work week this week. I'm quite looking forward to it. But first, its going to be a busy busy day tomorrow. What with 8am starts and 4.30pm finishes and most likely me staying late because from the look of things and from the last glance at my appointment sheet, I'm booked solid.

But its me making money and I'm proud of the fact.

Hm.

I'm in a more sombre thinking mood right now.

Maybe I run....because its my form of escape. Literally.

Maybe because when I'm running, I have no time to think. Its not so much that I think things through when I'm running. Truth to tell, when I run, I don't think. The mind kind of goes blank. Maybe I should try thinking when I run. It might help. I mean, I've tried to hook up the mp3 player but its only doing me so much good and no more than that. Try having "Hot Stuff - Craig David" or "I Wanna Know - Daniel Beddingfield" rhythmically tapping itself through my one good ear and you don't really think. I focus on the lyrics but that's not really thinking either, is it?

When I run, I tend to psyche myself up to see the turns in the road, the familiar bits and pieces that tell me that I'm nearly home, the signs and landmarks and the all-too-familiar Mobil pump station that means that home is barely a minute run away now. Its not a bad thing per se but I don't really think about the problems I'm facing or whatever I want to solve in my life right now.

So what does happen when I run?

My heart pounds. I get a stitch. I try and focus on keeping my feet "quiet" as it is good form to run with "quiet" feet. I breathe in and out and in and out. With my mouth open because I feel I get more air in and out that way, with my mouth shut so I don't get a dry mouth. My legs feel slightly tight but hey, I'm not sure if I even recovered fully from the 6.3km run two days before.

I tell myself that I'm passing the street, the shop, the turn, I'm nearly there.

KFC now is my focus for running. From my place to KFC, that's 2.4km. Roughly. Or so Google Maps tell me. If I'm to be accepted into the Territorial Forces, it'll take me only 10 minutes and 30 seconds....and UNDER to be able to get into the army. But let's not look that far ahead just yet, shall we? I still can't do enough pull ups, sit ups, or push ups. That's a goal, anyway.

I think I'm running sub 15mins?

But passing KFC lets me know that I ran 2.4km without stopping. And for me, that's a personal achievement considering I never ran even for ice cream.

But I do run for KFC. +D

So I run to forget. To let my mind go blank and allow myself to focus only on me and the physical effects of what I'm doing to myself.

Run to forget.

In some ways, I imagine running like Forest Gump. How he kept running and running until one day, he solved it. He found all the answers and stopped running.

I wonder if I'll ever find all the answers.

I wonder if the happy ever after ending still exists.

And if it does, you can count on me to keep running for it until I have it. No matter how long it takes. No matter how many 5km runs it takes and no matter how many half hours I need to get it. I'll find it.

Somehow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home